Trains keep people and towns connected and support local businesses. Are you a parent or grandparent looking to create a family memory this season? All aboard! Gather the kids, the grandkids, aunts, and uncles to ride the “Breakfast Train” to Kewanee.
Here is how to make it happen! You’re actually a passenger on Amtrak Train #380 and may begin from Quincy, Macomb, or Galesburg. There is no shortage of snacks and beverages on the train, but save room for breakfast at the Station House Restaurant located next to the Kewanee Amtrak station. Groups of 12 or more please call ahead to the Station House Restaurant for reservations.
The “Breakfast Train” arrives at 8:09am in Kewanee. The family unloads and heads to the Station House Restaurant for a hearty breakfast. Try the Country Crock beginning at $3.99. Once you’ve finished breakfast, you have until 9:35am to meander through downtown Kewanee viewing some of the History in the Paint Public Art Tour. Scurry back to the station to board Train #381 at 9:44am and you’ll be home by lunch!
Anticipation builds hearing the whistle blow as the train arrives at the station of your choice. Your family boards ready for a relaxing ride through the Illinois countryside. Watch the kids’ faces light up as the train begins its journey. The kids are glued to the windows to view rural farm landscapes, sightings of llamas and camels and rural Illinois towns.
- 6:12–7:38am – Board Amtrak train #380 in Quincy, Macomb, or Galesburg, Ill. Seating is limited and reservations are required: AMTRAK for an E-Ticket, or 800-872-7245. (If you board without reservations and pay in person, it may cost more. Also, rates vary, depending when you book, the number/ages of children per adults. Please see the Amtrak website for details.)
- Quincy – 6:12am; Roundtrip: adults $32, children $16.
- Macomb – 7am; Roundtrip: adults $20, children $10.
- Galesburg – 7:38am; Roundtrip: adults $10, children $5.
- 8:09am–Amtrak train arrives in Kewanee, Ill., from Quincy, Macomb, and Galesburg, Ill.
- Let the Station House Restaurant know you’re coming!
- Reservations are encouraged. 309-854-7245.
- 9:44am–board the train to return to your original station
Want to take the “Breakfast Train” and stay overnight in Kewanee? There is a bed-and-breakfast within walking distance of the train station, plus three hotels on the edge of town. The legendary Good’s Furniture is just a couple blocks away from the station, along with locally-owned specialty shops and restaurants.
A train ride is part of the American story. The Breakfast Train is a beginners travel excursion for the young and old during the upcoming holiday or for any season for that matter. Connect with Amtrak, connect with the Station House Restaurant and connect through train travel! All Aboard!